Stack and Chill: 31 Movie Recommendations for Bitcoiners
There are some movies and TV series that seriously tap into the zeitgeist of being a bitcoiner. Our brains crave for story, that much is true. So it’s easier to explain some concept with a movie example rather than trying to start from the bottom and explain every technical detail.
The biggest example is the concept of Orange Pilling, which comes from the Matrix, when Morpheus offers the red pill and the blue pill to Neo. Which itself comes from Plato’s Allegory of the Cave, and Morpheus helps Neo see that their world is just projected digital shadows on a wall.
Here’s a list from Why Bitcoin about which movies and series a bitcoiner should watch. https://twitter.com/WhyBitcoinOnly/status/1640187474122100737?s=20
Let’s go through it real quick:
- Alice in Wonderland (1951)
- While I get why it’s being recommended, I’m not as enamored with Alice in Wonderland as the Americans seem to be. It’s just a wondrous tale, but I get the concepts of going down the rabbit hole etc.
- Atlas Shrugged – Film Series – (2011-2014)
- The Big Short (2015)
- A must-watch, not only it explains the banking crisis that led to the creation of bitcoin itself, it’s also a good movie in general. It explains a lot of fiat concepts and how frail they really are.
- Black Mirror – TV Series (2011-Current)
- This one is all over the place. Some sci-fi stories are really powerful. A few even take on the fiat world we live in, like the Fifteen Million Merits episode.
- Braveheart (1995)
- I don’t get why this is recommended. Maybe about revolution, and manliness, and bravery? It’s a good movie nonetheless.
- Citizen Four (2014)
- The story of Edward Snowden, who is also a big bitcoiner. A good technothriller that also happens to be all true.
- Fight Club (1999)
- This is a good movie. It talks a lot about the emasculation of men, the fiat world, rampant consumerism etc. People watching it tend to take away the wrong message most of the times.
- The Fountainhead (1949)
- Four Horsemen (2013) (Watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbvquHSPJU&ab_channel=RenegadeInc. )
- Idiocracy (2006)
- Another must-watch. The opening scene must be shown to every intellectual that has been fed the propaganda about not bringing children into this cruel world. The rest is also hilarious and spot on. It’s a documentary at this point.
- Inside Job (2010)
- In Time (2011)
- You’d think this message of time is money is on the nose, but it works so well and it shows you the fiat world as it is right now. The scene with his mother is heartbreaking, and it’s being repeated in real life, only slower.
- Margin Call (2011)
- A more nerdy and more serious alternative to the Big Short. It’s also good.
- Mr. Robot – TV Series (2015-2019)
- I get why it’s being recommended. The show has some brilliant moments. The hacking is realistic, the struggle is very bitcoin vs fiat world. It gets really annoying in parts with the hallucinations and mental issues but it’s really worth watching.
- Soylent Green (1973)
- A classic, it shows you a great allegory of the fiat world.
- The Truman Show (1998)
- Another Plato’s Cave movie, a wonderful performance and a heartbreaking ending.
- V For Vendetta (2005)
- Revolutions can be bloody and violent. But the best thing is, is that you can’t kill an idea. Ideas are bulletproof.
- The Village (2004)
- A good movie about people seeing through the rules people have imposed on their lives.
- Wall-E (2008)
- A wonderful movie in general, it also shows a future of complacent humans who are being fed everything.
- Zeitgeist: The Movie (2007)
- 1984 (1984)
- The dystopian classic that defined them all. The predictions made in the book have mostly come to life. Disinformation, control, warping of meaning and words. It’s all happening.
- 300 (2014)
- This is Sparta I guess.
- Don’t Look Up (2021)
- Quite good. While it feeds on the ESG propaganda about climate change, it shows a very realistic reaction of people not believing something until it’s too late.
- Cypherpunks Write Code (2021) (Watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vM0oIEhMag&ab_channel=ReasonTV )
- The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1966)
- American Psycho (2000)
- A very good movie. Apart from the shock value, it shows how cutt-throat the corporate world is by taking it to the extreme.
- Goodfellas (1990)
- The Wolf of Wall St (2013)
- A good movie about excess and fiat gains. The real-life inspiration, Jordan Belfort is alive and well and still scamming people on the internet with crypto.
- Nightcrawler (2014)
- I’d suggest this movie because it’s a fantastic one, but it also shows how a parasite can tack onto the disinformation machine and feed off the monster.
- Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
- This infinitely quotable movie focuses on a team of downtrodden real estate salesmen whose morals have been utterly eroded after years of working for their unscrupulous company.
- Downsizing (2017)
- This movie is a social commentary. It’s not that good, but it’s a great example of how extreme incomes can change with the introduction of something that transforms society.
- Wall Street (1987)
- A perfect movie about the stock market. Greed is good.
How many of those have you watched? And do you have more to share? Let us know in the comments below, you’ll have to sign in with your lightning wallet.
Did you enjoy this story? Then send some sats to the author!
100% of your tips go directly to the author. Need a wallet? Find one here.